Grilled cheese that will melt in your mouth! For a delicious appetizer, quarter the sandwiches and serve on a platter with sliced, tart green apples! Adapted from Delicious Living magazine and changed. Feel free to try fig, peach, or pineapple preserves instead of the apricot! Yum!
- 1 large avocado
- 8 slices whole-wheat french bread
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 2-4 tablespoons apricot fruit spread, to taste (or preserves)
- 4 ounces havarti cheese
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (or mayonnaise)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Butter 4 bread slices on one side. Place slices, butter-side down, on a clean work surface. Spread 1 tbls. cream cheese(or mayonnaise) on each slice. Now spread 1/2 to 1 tbls. fruit spread in a thin layer on top of cream cheese. Top with Havarti cheese and layer with avocado slices. Cover with remaining bread; butter tops.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bread is golden brown and cheese has begun to melt. Flip sandwiches over, pressing down slightly with a spatula. Continue cooking until golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!